Friday, February 20, 2015

FIVE DEGREES??


This weather is ABSURD!!

Yes, this morning it was 5 degrees.  I thought last winter (2014) was bad.  This is now rediculous!!

Microsoft Maintenance Department

Recently I got a call from the "Microsoft Maintanance Department" advising me that my computer was causing error messages that were degrading their "server".  After some discussion the agent was going to transfer me to the remote support department so they could clean my computer for an as yet uspecified amount of money.  I played along acting clueless about what the agent was saying and also that I had a hearing problem.  Just before I was to be transferred, I asked what kind of scam was he trying to pull.  The agent quickly hung up.

My point here is that there is no "Microsoft Maintenance Department" or "Windows Service Center".  These are common scams designed to steal money and get control of the computers of unsuspecting users.  If you receive such a call, simply hang up. 

(The NEW) Windows 10

Windows 10 will be released in the fall of 2015 as a FREE upgrade.  I am currently using the Technical Preview release on one of my laptops.  I think it is a vast improvement over Windows 8.1, returning the start menu and start button.  This new operating system will feel enough like Windows 7 to make it easier for Win 7 enthusiasts to run Windows 10.  And it displays a new, fresh look while retaining the familiarity of Windows 7.  Anybody who has used Windows 8/8.1 with the Classic Shell add-on will be right at home with the Win 10.

Current O/S & Hardware Lineup

By now, virtually ALL personal/home use Windows XP pc's should be retired and recycled.  If you are still running an XP computer, you may want to give serious consideration to getting a new Windows 8.1 computer.  Your XP computer is at risk for serious security issues.  And Windows Vista users should also begin considering replacement.  Vista was not the best example of an easy to use, intuitive operating system.  Microsoft support for Vista will end soon, so it's also a goot time to consider a new machine.

Hardware is very reasonably prices.  I recently delivered a new Dell laptop to a client.  This machine has 4 gigabytes of memory and a 500 gigabyte hard drive.  It is perfectly adequate for average home/home office users.  It was priced at $ 379 plus tax.  Purchase, setup, transferring files & programs was priced out at $ 545 including tax.  We are well beyond the time when we used to have to FINANCE a computer purchase.

A Note...

Pitchers & catchers report to Yankee spring training in Tampa today.  In 8 days it will be March 1st.  Hopefully soon this god-awful weather will break.  Until then, stay warm. 

Peace,

Dave







No comments: